You’re probably not one of those Da Vinci Code heretics who believes Jesus had a child with Mary Magdalene. But even if you’re quick to slap a scarlet H on the Gospel of Thomas or the idea that Jesus wasn’t really human, you might be affected by a subtle reboot of this heresy seeping through American evangelicalism. Unlike it’s older brother, Christian-gnosticism can be hard to see and a bit slippery to catch–a fact I know from firsthand experience. So here’s a quiz to take your temperature and see if you’ve been affected:
- Does it feel like a stretch to think about worshipping through football, a slice of german chocolate cake, or–if you’re married–having sex?
- Do you think it makes God happier when you read your Bible than when you pick up trash from the side of the road?
- Do you feel like sex is dirty? Are you ashamed of your sex drive?
- Does it surprise you that there might be politics and commerce after the resurrection?
- Is your Christianity strong when it comes to lying and prayer, but light on gluttony and fasting? Continue Reading…